Architecture

THE ARCHITECT

Arcadio ArellanoARCADIO ARELLANO
(1872 – 1920)
Source: http://en.wikipilipinas.org/index.php?title=Arcadio_Arellano

Family
Born in Tondo, Manila
Father, Luis Arellano, native of Bulacan, Bulacan;
Mother, Bartola de Guzman; the third of fifteen children
One of his uncles was Deodato Arellano, a propagandist and the first president of the Katipunan
Married to Amalia Ocampo, daughter of Martin Ocampo, who was the owner of the publications El Renacimiento and Muling Pagsilang
Had nine children: Luis, Araceli, Natividad, Irma, Friné, Arturo, Raul, Otilio, and Elsa

Education
Received elementary education from schools in Tondo
Received his Bachelor of Arts degree from the Ateneo Municipal de Manila in 1892
Took further courses in business and maestro de obras (construction foreman) from the Escuela de Artes y Oficios where he graduated in 1895

Patriotic service
Served in the engineering corps and attained the rank of captain during the second stage of the Revolution
In 1898 supervised the repairs to the Malolos Convent which was used by the Revolutionary government during the Revolution

American regime
Under the Schurmann Commission supervised the assessments in Intramuros
Was Governor W. H. Taft’s private consulting architect
Under Act 2494 in 1915 prepared the plans and specifications for the construction of a monument for the heroes of 1896

Architectural works
Was considered a pioneer during his time
Departed from American and European designs, instead incorporated Filipino native plants and motifs
Built famous edifices and the residential buildings of the elite

Residential Buildings:
Gregorio Araneta’s home on R. Hidalgo Street
Ariston Bautista’s residence on Barbosa Street
Gonzalo Tuazon’s home
Commercial and Industrial Buildings
“El 82”
The former Hotel de Francia
Carmelo & Bauermann building
Gota de Leche on Lepanto Street
Casino Español on Taft Avenue
Others
Mausoleum of the Veterans of the Revolution
Legarda crypt at North Cemetery

Pages: prev ◀ 1 2 3